Today's photo shows the Co-op supermarket at the junction of Arundel Street and Waterton Lane in Top Mossley.
This was built on the site of the very first Co-operative Society shop in Tameside, opened in 1856, only 12 years after the Co-operative movement began in Rochdale.
The present supermarket building was opened in 2002 after an earlier supermarket, built in the 1990s(?) was destroyed by a fire that was thought to have started in a photo booth.
Even this photograph, taken a couple of months ago, is now a part of history, as the Co-op has now re-branded itself and all the pale blue is now replaced by pale green as part of the new image for Co-op food stores.
See Google Aerial View of this location.
See LiveSearch Birds Eye View of this location.
Inside The White Gates Inn - [image: Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]] © Copyright Ian Sand licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence. One of the rooms ...
1 hour ago