Yes, it might be called "The Station" but anyone looking to catch a train has come to the wrong place, for The Station pub is at the opposite end of the town centre from Ashton's railway station.
The reason, of course, is historical. When the pub opened in 1849, Warrington Street continued a little further to Park Parade station, which was situated on the far side of what is now the Ashton Bypass. The railway line is still there but the station has been gone since 1956. Not that it would have helped if it was still there, as the line is now used by the frequent TransPennine Express trains, which don't even stop at Guide Bridge station.
Guide Bridge was Ashton's first railway station, originally having the catchy name of Ashton and Hooley Hill. When the lines from Guide Bridge to Stalybridge and Victoria to Stalybridge were built, the stations at Park Parade and Charlestown were opened. Ashton also had a further station at Oldham Road on the line to Park Bridge and Oldham. Charlestown station is the present Ashton under Lyne station.
Chained Up - Do not park here ... or you will be overgrown ...
4 hours ago